Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

I've always found the hallmark holidays a little strange, but Mother's Day is growing on me.  I know that as a child I thought days like Mother's Day were very big, but since becoming a mother it has never really seemed all that important.  Why just one day should people do something extra nice for that person in their life who has been there from the instant they were born. 

But as my children grow older it has become fun to watch them as the figure out what they can do to try to make Mother's Day special.  I was tired this morning when I woke up because Bella had a fever all night and didn't sleep well, which meant I didn't sleep well.  I lay in bed listening to the sounds downstairs from Lena's and Laura's bedroom wondering what game they were playing this morning. 

They banged around for a while and giggled a little and eventually I got up to get everyone else ready for church.  Soon after, the two of them came running up the stairs and proclaimed, "Happy Mother's Day!", which of course I had completely forgotten about.  I smiled tiredly, hoping it didn't show too much that I was itching to jump up and run down to the kitchen before either of them decided to make breakfast like they did last year.  Cold cereal with the milk poured on long before it was brought to me.  But they simply turned around and skipped back downstairs.  As I was sitting at the table about to eat my bowl of cereal with the milk just freshly poured on, they came running in with their gifts.

This year I got a card from Lena.  Very beautifully drawn and it was addressed to Mommy, rather than Mammy, which was a nice change.  Inside the card were two very nicely made Qupons for a Bak Rub.  On the reverse side of each of the Qupons was a note "Just One" and a bar code. 

Laura gave me a small shopping back with Kleenex (fresh unused ones) poking out like a gift bag with tissue paper.  Inside was a handmade card and a little package wrapped in tissue paper and tied with a little ribbon.  A gift she had made in handwork at school, a felt decoration sewn onto a pin.  Additionally, there was another package, wrapped in Kleenex and tied with a large string from her Learn to Tie a Knot book.  As I was unwrapping it, she said, "You can't keep the string, I just needed something to keep it together."  Inside of the Kleenex package were a lot of pipe cleaners that had been bent and twisted into shapes.  There was a house and a person who goes in the house, a fence and two bundles of straw to lean against the fence, and a large fire to go outside of the fence.

Not thrilled about the feverish baby, but otherwise, a great Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment